[at-l] 2009 SoRuck: Trip Report

Tenacious Tanasi tenacious_tanasi at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 18 23:01:17 CST 2009

2009 SoRuck pics:  http://tinyurl.com/7wb3b8

Another SoRuck has come and gone.  Again, it was so much fun to be there.

Slyman, you and GADawg are my idols.  Thank the both of you so much for all of your hard work in pulling this event off so well.

We got there after 10 pm as we took the scenic route over the Cherohala Skyway.  The snow up there and icicles were so beautiful.  With the air so cold you could see the lights in the valleys below for miles.  Simply amazing!

The road had been graded and there was salt/sand everywhere, but there still were a few patches here and there of ice on the highway. The girls made a game up of telling me where to drive on the road to miss the ice patches.  To the right, to the right...to the left, to the left... which led to us singing the Cupid Shuffle.  lol

Then we made up a game of what we would do in case of an emergency.  How do you drive in snow and ice?  What would the girls do if we were in an accident and I was incapacitated?    Did we have cell service?  What was our location?  What information would emergency personnel need to know?  What gear did we have in the van with us?  Extra/warm clothing?  Check!  Sleeping bags?  Check!  Food?  Check!  Drinks & water?  Check!  How would you start a fire?  Was it better to attempt to walk out or wait for emergency personnel?  We had a really awesome discussion about survival in emergency situations.  I just hope they can remember half of what we talked about.

We stopped at one point to let the girls out to try to pull icicles off of a frozen a waterfall frozen in time. It was so beautiful, but we couldn't find the camera that was packed up with all of our gear.

Then there was the painted word in the road.  Now, keep in mind that we were at this point on the downhill trek of this journey.  We had been creeping along just enjoying the ride and being safe.  We had come through 3 degree weather at the top of the mountain with only a couple of pretty big patches of snow/ice.  We were now down from 5500+ feet to just under 3000 feet and at a balmy 16 degrees.  There in the middle of the road was spraypainted the word "SLO".  The van grew quiet for a minute and then we all burst out laughing at the hilarity of it.  I tell you, sometimes it is the randomness of things that just makes life funny.

A drive that should have taken us a little over 2 hours turned into a 3.5 hour adventure.  We had so much fun!

Right after we parked and got out GADawg pulled in.  We all ran down to Charlie and when she got out we squeezed each other to pieces in a big ole crying sloppy hugs.  I have missed my sister so much!!! I love ya, Dawg.

Up walked Uncle Frankiepoo and the hugs and crying started all over again.  For the next litte while as we unpacked and got things settled at the dining hall and then the cabin I'd run into someone I knew and would have to stop for a hug and short crying bout.  Goodness, but I have missed everyone so much!

Finally we got the girls all settled, and I went on down to Cabin C to hang out until HoneyBee got there. Dawg had to get up early to coordinate breakfast, and the girls really needed some rest.  I needed to be able to answer my cell in case HoneyBee got lost.  This was to be her first SoRuck, and I do think she now has the bug for it. I can't wait to get her to Trail Days.  She finally got there after 2 am.  She needed to stretch her legs so we hung out for a while longer before heading back over to our cabin to lay down.

Dawg, PuppyDawg, HoneyBee, my girls, and me all crammed into our cabin
room and had such a wonderful slumber party all weekend long.  Miss J didn't show up,
which has me worried about her now.  She and Fabian were going to crash with us as well.  I hope everything is ok with her.  WC and a few others were going to make pit stops in Erwin on their way out.  If anyone hears anything, please let me know.

On Saturday, we all slept in and the wandered over to the dining hall for leftovers.  Well, except Dawg, of course.  She was up and at 'em early to get breakfast ready for all of the hikers heading out.

The girls went exploring down by the river, and I wandered around up at camp.  I chatted with so many wonderful people...some old friends...some now new friends.

Later on after lunch, we went over to Kleinrath hall for Gene Espy's presentation.  Weather Carrot started us off with a tribute to Mr. Espy.  If you missed the SoRuck, you can catch this on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpjBtR0AGSw.  I truly enjoyed this as well as Mr. Espy's talk.  He spoke of the way things were in 1951 when he set out on the trail.  He had us laughing almost the entire time.  I scored one of his books and he graciously signed it.  I even got my picture taken with him!  :)

Next up was Jeffery Hunter.  I thought he was still with the American Hiking Society, but he now works for another organization.  I can't right off recall the name of it.  If anyone remembers, will you please jog my memory?  Little Bear presented "Protecting the Cherokee National Forest".  It was really encouraging to see the activity going on to preserve lands and better protect them in this area.

The Women Hiker's hour was so much fun.  As usual there really was not enough time together with everyone there.  It is so encouraging to hear women of the trail swapping stories and yes, even talking gear.  To hear of the many planned hikes as well as the accomplishments of the women there was so uplifting.  The many hugs and words of encouragement from so many of them regarding the trials I have been through over the past two years well greatly appreciated.  When it came my turn to introduce myself, I broke down telling about some of the things that have been going on.  And, I announced to the group that in 2010 I plan on being out there in my attempt to thruhike the AT.  I discovered that Heartfire and another one (Nana?) are also planning on thruhiking in 2010.  It looks like I will be in great company.

The pasta dinner was a smash hit.  There was soooo much food!  We finally got the cats all corralled and called to dinner.  Then after the diningh hall filled up we surprised Agent Judy, my middle daughter, by singing "Happy Birthday" to her.  Her face was so red!  hehe

After dinner we spent the intervening time before Jennifer Pharr Davis' presentation with Dutchtreat on the guitar.  I always love to listen to him play.

Jennifer's presentation was very inspiring.  She did speak a bit more about her '05 thruhike, but it did lay the groundwork for her talk about her record setting thru in '08.  What a phenomenal young woman!  I had the opportunity to  speak with her very briefly in the kitchen prepping Saturday night dinner.  When you speak to her you really catch her enthusiasm for hiking.

I skipped the presentation for the PCT and went to the cabin to lay down for a bit.  I hated that I missed it, but not sleeping well over the past month is starting to catch up to me.

Dawg came in to lay down, and we chatted about everything going on in our lives.  I do wish that I lived closer to her.  Even though we keep in touch via email and phone it isn't quite the same to be able to cry all over each other and give those reassuring hugs.

After 10pm me and all of the girls got geared up to go down to the bonfire.  Dawg needed her rest so she could get up early for fixing breakfast, and the girls were still wired.  We were treated to an amazing fire show by Turbo Joe and even Fishin Fred got up there for a bit.  Go Joe & Fred!! :)

I sat on a log in front of that fire and listened to the many conversations going on around me.  I began thinking of my thru and the many things that I need to get accomplished before being able to set out.  I wish so badly that I could go this year, but I have one that I need to get settled in college and financial issues to resolve.  Hearing everyone talk about people they know on the trail and what everyone has been up to was awesome.  Of course, there was the ever present trail gossip for great giggling material.

BabyDoll, my youngest daughter took a turn on the drum, and I think that she really enjoyed it.  She was really good with it too.  It was neat to watch her try new sounds and tempos on it.  I guess I know what I am going to have to pick up for her birthday at Trail Days this year!  :)

Mercury, the 10 year old grandson of Fishin Fred, was playing around with this thing that had lights in it and he was juggling it with sticks.  It was really amazing to watch him go with that thing!

After another late night we slept in again.  And, again we were left with left over breakfast.  lol

On the ride home the girls talked non-stop about how much fun that they had had and all of the amazing people they had met.  I was so very glad about this.  They were already talking about going to Trail Days.  lol  The sad part is that if their father has them that weekend, I know that he will not allow them to go.

I missed saying goodbye to many of you.  Just know that I greatly prize the opportunity that I had to reaffirm old relationships and begin new ones.

To the many of my family that could not be there this year (Miss J, Thee Clyde, eArThworm, TinMan, and the many, many others) I miss you.

Happy and Safe trails until we meet again, my dearest family.  I love you all.

Tenacious Tanasi