[at-l] Hiker in planning slump... What would or have you done in this sit...

Richard Calkins racalkins at msn.com
Sun Jan 25 13:53:28 CST 2009

Before my '05 hike I obsessed over every detail and planned for every contingency!  My plan for '09:

1.  March 14: Arrive Springer mountain2.  March 15: Start walking north
3.  Meet a bunch of crazy people and have a blast sharing the good times with them
4.  Sometime in September: Arrive Katahdin
5.  Day after that, go back home.
6.  Repeat every 3-4 years!

Longhaul
AT '05/'09

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:39:54 -0800From: tenacious_tanasi at yahoo.comTo: TrailR at aol.comCC: at-l at backcountry.netSubject: Re: [at-l] Hiker in planning slump... What would or have you done in this sit...

Great advice, Hot Dog!For some, maybe counting myself in there too, going through the act of physically planning a hike... even to the point of making up maildrops and foodstuffs  we may never need we are prepping mentally.  They physical act mirrors and completes the mental preparation.  Helps to allay fears?  Helps to get into the hike mindset?If we do go into planning overkill, do you think that it enables us to say... I have done everything that I can to make it through this thruhike? If we do not plan and leave things undone at home, do you think we can possibly sabotage our hike?  In other words give ourselves an excuse or "out" to get off the trail without saying "I quit... I can't do this."?
 Tenacious Tanasi