[at-l] Food in maildrops vs food along the trail

EHamilton imagainst_the_wind at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 14:01:11 CST 2009

I sort of have special dietary needs. I have to keep wheat to a minimum... I don't have celiac disease, but my gut is sensitive to wheat and I would just as soon not have to make 3-4 hurry-up cat-hole stops per morning, so I'm not going to be able to rely on Ramen and angel-hair spaghetti as staples. I'm dehydrating beans and rice (they rehydrate in a flash.) I also do much better on more protein and fat and less carbohydrate (yes I know beans and rice are carbs.) My blood sugar is kind of high-normal, not high enough to be "borderline" but high enough to have my doctor and me scratching our heads, although quite probably hiking all day every day will take care of that.

Anyway, I need quick-cook staples that aren't wheat; I need meat ("hamburger rocks"); and I want vegetables. All this boils (joke) down to dehydrating ahead of time. I doubt I'll get sick of it.... I'm drying what I usually eat anyway. I've got my "staples" that I haven't gotten sick of for over a year.

Aside from drying more vegetables, getting a headlamp (not essential -- I have 2 mini-flashlights -- but I really want one). getting the 2009 Companion, and putting everything together, I could go now on the preparations I've already made. Maybe that's why I feel like I'm in a slump.... not that much planning left? That directly contradicts what I said in my original post about feeling overwhelmed.

I didn't even think about cross-posting it to this group; thanks for doing it for me!

MacGyver