[at-l] Hiker in planning slump... What would or have you done in this situation?

EHamilton imagainst_the_wind at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 16:56:57 CST 2009

OK, Sly, I'm readin' it!

From the Prologue:
" Before I left Connecticut, a strange reaction set in; I fell into a moderate depression, with vague forebodings of doom. I was averse to talk about the upcoming adventure. This dismal mood evaporated when I left for Georgia."

I think this is where I am now, in a way. I'm still two months out and have spent far longer in prep than he did. But it's similar to being in mid-marathon training or mid-Ironman training and feeling like, "There is no way I can go out and train today or tomorrow and maybe not all this week and I may back out of the race, I am so sick of this."

24 marathons and two Ironman's later, with not a single DNF (did not finish),  I'm ready to tackle a different challenge. Unlike marathoning and triathloning, which were adult-onset passions, I've wanted to do this one since I was 15. That was 42 years ago, in case anyone wants to know.

Is a "whinner" a whiner or a winner? Not sure of your spelling there :-) Sounds like it could be someone's trail name.

MacGyver

From: Sly hikertrash at gmail.com

What a whinner...  they don't have to do any of those things.  They should be psyched they have the opportunity to hike.   Have them read Then the Hail came.

Sly

Tenacious Tanasi wrote:
Hey everyone,

A thruhiker for the 09 season posted the following message.  Please read it and share what you would or have done in this situation.