[at-l] Maildrops at Inns/Hostel - hiker etiquette

GARY HEBERT hikerfedex at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 18:56:51 CST 2009

 in many cases packages are delivered directly to them, not picked up. But I
agree with your point - if it's a hostel/inn it's normally expected you
stay. (thanks for pointing out appropriate hiker etiquette! Don't ruin a
good thing for those in your wake!)  And I agree a small fee is well worth
my convenience! Most outfitters get packages every day and don't mind
holding yours cuz you bring friends to the store to shop while you get your
package.  Its rare nobody buys anything.
Your point is worth restating:  "You don't sh*t where you eat"

These small mom & pop Inns/hostels/shuttle services/general stores need to
eat too. Treating them with kindness and respect goes a long way to maintain
their lover of hikers.

If you bail on your original plan to stay there at least offer politely to
pay a small fee for their hassle of holding your package. They may well
refuse, but it makes them continue to enjoy hiker's friendly attitude.

FedEx