[at-l] Food in maildrops vs food along the trail

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Sun Jan 25 18:55:14 CST 2009

TrailR at aol.com wrote:

> I tried going cold & hated it. I guess I just like hot "feel good"
> food at night (if ramens count as food).
> I saved weight at the beginning by carrying less food (mostly ramen
> noodles & light crappy food, mixed with Slim Jims & pepperoni &
> CHEESE!!! I gave up coffee, to save more weight (I drank it in town).
> When I got to town I pigged out on EVERYTHING I didn't have on the
> trail. CHEESEBURGERS & FRIES!! PIZZA!! GREASE & FAT!! I still lost 40
> pounds by Harpers Ferry, and changed my strategy (Now I was still
> lighter, even when I was carrying extra, heavier food!).

I went 'cold' several times and really enjoyed it...for a while. I'd
carry bologna, milk and cereal, lunch meat and cheeses. Though, I had
more worries about things freezing than I did things spoiling.  Some
nights I just didn't feel like cooking. It was nice to just eat 5 or 6
bowls of cereal.  Or, god forfend, a HOTDOG.  Actually, and this goes
back to someone talking about having to eat food they don't like, there
were no less than two times that I ate every hotdog on the
spinning-wire-with-the-red-lights things at a gas station!! ALL of
'em!!  And, to MacGYVER....about that fat you're trying to get out of
the hamburger...after a while, you'll start ordering hamburgers with
extra grease....and, some grease to dip it in.

Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98
"Your Move"
ALT '03 KT '03