[at-l] Tips on the mail drop

Joel P. Urbine jurbine at west-chester.com
Mon Jan 26 08:31:39 CST 2009

I learned these tricks from shall we say a 'thrifty' hiking buddy of
mine.  If you should be driving to either terminus and you have the
opportunity and time why not leave some of your mail drops at an
outfitters or possibly a hostels you plan to stop at during your hike.
Most of them will hold it for you at 'no charge' hoping for your future
business. Be advised, some hostels may charge a small fee if you don't
stay, which I feel is in order.  With today's shipping cost it is well
worth it and will save you some serious cash.  Another plus is by
leaving drops in this manner should you happen to come into a town at a
time, late after 4/5pm Saturday or a Sunday / Holiday when PO's are
closed, 'no problemo', more than likely you'll still be able to get to
your drop.  Also if you just want to get 'in and out' of town and the PO
is closed this could additionally help save you from spending
unnecessary time and money on lodging and food when possibly you hadn't
plan to.  Regardless of how you plan your drops know the hours of the
PO's and outfitters.

Another suggestion, if you are using the 'ALDHA Companion' check their
update page if and when you happen to be on line, for 'any' changes that
may make your hike a little easier. Have a great hike.

Tricks