[at-l] Have to Trail Towns

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Tue Jan 27 07:58:13 CST 2009

Tenacious Tanasi wrote:

> So, tell me what is on your Gotta Stop/Stay Trail Town List? And,
> why?  (Help me build mine. :))

Monson is a gotta stay. (Well, really, there ARE no 'gotta stay's )  You
are either coming out of, or going into the 100 Miles and will either
need to prepare or rest.

The other towns in Maine (Caratunk, Stratton, Rangeley/Aquasock, and
Andover) are all pretty nice little towns and should be experienced. One
of my favorite towns ANYwhere is Andover.

Gorham is probably a spend-the-night town. But, I won't take a zero
there again.

I didn't like staying in Hanover at all. It's nice, obviously, for
resupply since it's right on the trail. But, I'll try to not spend the
night there next time.

Manchester Center is a good stopping point. Though, I don't know what
accommodations are these days. The town IS a bit 'spread out', too.

N. Adams is good for resupply and I believe motel stay. (If the Cosmos
isn't lined up just right, I mean  :-)

Chesire is good for a quick meal and minor resupply. I didn't like
sleeping on the floor in the church. And, don't even know if you can anymore

Dalton is good...but, since there is a shelter just south of town, it
sets itself up perfectly for  'do my thangs and go' situation.

Great Barrington is a good place to spend a night. Good resupply and
most services and pretty easy hitch.

Kent and Salsbury are easy to get to and have most of what you'll need
for a resupply.  Lodging on the expensive side. And, shelters/campsites
close for easy in-and-out.

I'm not gonna lie to you...I don't remember much about NY other than I
wouldn't stay in Poughquag again.

New Jersey...Vernon is an easy hitch and good resupply. Not sure what
the situation is with the lodging/hostels/camping there, though. Going
north, Wawayanda is a helluva climb after eating too much at Burger
King. (I hear....)

Hmmm....DWG is okay. Not my favorite place. Good lodging at the church.
Not a 'take a zero' town.

Port Clinton is a tough place to sleep. The pavilion is WAY TOO
noisy...and, that motel above the bar is even noisier! If you can get to
Hamburg, it's a better place and good resupply. Though, the PO IS right
on the trail in Port Clinton. I mailed myself a package from there, and
to there, once. Actually, I mailed two and she only charged me for one.
And, THEY DIDN'T LOSE THEM!!!

That other town...with the jail?? What's the name of it?  It's a
dangerous hitch. good restaurants, though. Loud room over the bar
there.  Nice place when it's 14º outside, though.  (I'll never forget
hiking down that street that frigid, frigid morning.)

You want more of this?? I gotta get to sanding my bathroom walls....