[at-l] Have to Trail Towns

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Wed Jan 28 10:21:32 CST 2009

Tenacious Tanasi wrote:
> Felix writ: You want more of this?? I gotta get to sanding my bathroom
> walls....
>
> MORE!!!  Ya knows I am never sated. ;)

Hmmm....Duncannon has a easy-access post office. And, there used to was
a motel at the truck stop. I'm not sure if that's still the case. There
is at least  a mini-mart for short-term resupply. And, a good burger can
be had at the pub/bar place on the main drag. The only reason I stayed
there was so I could watch the Steelers and eat pizza with Pittsburgh.
Hmmm...Boiling Springs...A good Italian restaurant with HUGE calzones.
And, there was a BP station here that I ate all the hot dogs on the
red-lighted turning wires. There is a grocery store, but it seems to
have been a ways out of town.  ( I had a great night at the Landisii'
house)

There was a small grocery store a little west of the AT on US 30
(Caledonia). I ate a box of those little powdered-sugar donuts and drank
a quart of half and half. I don't do that often enough anymore.

Harper's Ferry is where Jim and/or Ginny will pick you up and take you
wherever they are living at the time. I grocery shopped in Silver
Spring, MD!!

Cloverdale/Troutville is pretty much a 'must stay' place. It is all
right there before you: Motels, buffets, AYCE Restaurants, truck stops,
most supplies and grocery stores. The post office is a long-assed
dangerous walk, though.

Pearisburg, to me, is a dump. I've stayed there two times. In the
future, I'll just resupply and go.

Adkins has a mini-mart for short term and a motel right there.  And, if
you play your cards just so, you might meet someone who'll eventually
own half your stuff...(and, with any luck, you'll own half of his/her stuff)

Damascus is Damascus.

Erwin is almost a must just because it is a long way between towns and
Erwin is sort of a time consuming town (spread out and not right on the
trail)

Hot Springs is nicely convenient. I didn't shop there....so, I don't
know where the groceries are.

I didn't stay in Franklin (got a ride all the way to The Highlands.
Wherever the heck that is)

Hiawassee, GA is kind of a must...either because it's your first or your
last, for the most part.