[at-l] Road Kill

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Tue Jul 7 13:55:54 CDT 2009

Sloetoe's possum story brought to mind one of Florida's more environmentally oriented folksingers.  Since sections of the FT are still road walks, it's possible to see a LOT of road kill in an FT thru-hike.  Here's that topic from the armadillo's point of view:

Armadillo Song      TOP OF PAGE
©1987 Grant Livingston

>From the Florida coast to the Texas sun
Our kind has roamed since time was begun
We've a fearsome legend every one of us knows
All about the place where the grass does not grow

Now the legend it tells of birds that fly
With a roar in their throat and fire in their eye
And they fly so fast and they fly so low
Down in the place where the grass does not grow

Sing o e o
Sing o e o e o
Sing o e o where the grass does not grow
Sing o e o
Sing o e o e o
It's the graveyard of the armadillo

Now one of our kind on that fateful day
With his fine long snout and his armor of gray
Well his fate was sealed when he chanced to go
Down in the place where the grass does not grow

His fear increased with the heavy bird's roar
In his ancestral memory he'd seen this before
And he stood trasfixed by the eyes of flame
The last thing he saw was the great bird's name:
It was "Volvo"

Repeat Chorus:

So armadillos all, wherever you may roam
Be careful if you stray from your armadillo home
And teach your children; every one of them should know
Beware=2
0of the place where the grass does not grow

Repeat Chorus (2 times):