[at-l] 5

hiker 317 hiker317 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 18:09:17 CDT 2009

I wish that i could remember the names of the shelters, but i can remember
the "why", and approximate locations: the 1st shelter N of Thunder? Mtn in
the Smokies: tremendous t-storm, cold, several hikers trying to stay warm
and sort of dry behind a tarp, in runs a guy yelling that his sister and
girlfriend are on top of the Mountain, freaked by the lightning, refusing to
move, so off we go up the hill. Sure enough, the women are huddled next
to/under bushes, hysterical. we somehow got them up and going downhill, and
the ladies who had remained in the shelter had hot drinks ready for all by
the time we returned, and donated their own dry bags for the night to the
wet hikers. Second fav would be the shelter in S VA where the skunk that
wandered in at dusk didn't spray me, as i lay as still as possible, praying
very hard. Third would be the one in N VA where John and I met the two
ladies who had taken on adopted names, in honor of the Trail, and their
hike. Much later i heard that this had become a tradition. Fourth would be
the shelter in the Smokies where the fellow burst in (very, very bad weather
out) with a banjo case strapped to his pack: he was migrating amongst the
mountain villages and hollows, learning banjo licks from the old-timers.
Fifth would be the shelter in Maine where Charlie Ferry shared the treats
that his sister had packed into his care-package: wondrous baked goods and
tasty tea.