[at-l] 5

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Fri Jul 10 18:45:28 CDT 2009

Tom McGinnis wrote:

> ### Chase Mtn -- Connecticut -- just inside Macedonia Brook State Park -- just a dirt spot now, and no longer on the AT, but wonderfully situated in a south-facing fold just before Chase Mtn, with a small water source in front of it. Thick forest in summer; in winter, you got a wonderful display of sunshine in the morning, til the sun stepped behind the ridge/bump to your right. ... ...
>
> Cooper Brook Leanto, Maine
> With the water flowing right-to-left in front of you, and a rock to jump off (which the boys made use of in 2004, not realizing that it was 54°F at the time) into a pool directly in front of the leanto. You could almost forget that the water below was full of leaches, ready to latch on and suck the athletically thinned hiker blood.
>
> Killington, Vermont
> The little hellhole just below the summit, holes in the roof and everything, with the ten million dollar view. Man oh man.
>
> WhateverisjustnorthoftheNC-GAborder.
> It used to be a stinky-but-unique A-Frame, and although it appeared in fair condition, it was torn down and is now a pretty, if standard, arrangement....
>
> Roaring Fork shelter -- 5 miles north of Max Patch.
> Newish. Stuck in a mountain laurel grove, deep in a hardwood forest, on an eastern slope -- it gets dark early. But WHAT a setting. It's been 11 years, and I've only been there once, but it were a nice place.
>
> Pico Camp -- Just past Killington, on the REAL AT.....
> A tiny cabin, stuck to the east side of the mountain, perfect to catch a morning ray, an oasis in the scary new (and impenetrable) evergreen thicket. (Yes, that's six.)

Well, two of them ain't even on the AT...so, I'm not sure they count.  I
think Roaring Fork S. has been moved...or, done away with. I LOVED that
setting there, right on the spring and about 50' from the trail. Loved
the view from the half-privy.   Muskrat Creek S. was the dingy A-frame
that has been replaced. I like the new shelter. I had a snack there on
1/1/99...a frigid day.  I'm not sure about that Killington shelter. Are
you talking about the dank Governor Clement S.?