[at-l] Must be getting old, what with ensolite, Sveas and good woolens

C7eca at aol.com C7eca at aol.com
Mon Jul 13 18:07:50 CDT 2009

'Pends when back in the day was.
In the early seventies, we would go get some stuff called ensolite.   It
was NASA designed as an insulator, about half inch thick, closed cell and
thus waterproof,  A search on the word "ensolite" should come up with some
on-line sources.
I woke up in the Rockies once, on my second camping trip ever, with my
face half froze in some drool on an ensolite pad.  I heard what I took to  be a
bear breathing almost next to me and while I was lying there trying to
determine whose drool it was I noticed the tent had collapsed on us and I
figured I was in a bad place.
Happily, there warn't no bear and the tent had collapsed (but not broken)
from ten inches of unforecast snow and as I became more awake I realized the
 bear breathing noise was Elmo whom I had known since third  grade.  We had
actually never camped together in the same tent before and  who knew he
snored?

We hiked up in shorts.  We had read up on mountain weather tho'  and had
also packed wool clothes for inclement weather so we were set.

I still have a circular piece of that old piece of ensolite.  It  keeps the
Svea, or now the alky stove, from disappearing in the  snow.  I think I
learned about putting a stove on thin cardboard on the  snow on that trip too.