[at-l] NeoAir, was: Re: Must be getting old...

Amy Forinash amy at forinash.net
Mon Jul 13 20:33:07 CDT 2009

On Jul 13, 2009, at 9:22 PM, Ryan Crawford wrote:

> Heck just do what the smart boys do...
>
> Switch to a hammock.  They are FAR more comfortable.  I sleep in one 7
> nights a week.  I haven't slept in a regular bed or on an air
> matress in
> years and I have no desire to return.  Heck I spent nights out this
> past
> winter in subzero temps in a hammock, intentionally in my backyard
> and I
> plan to do it again this winter.  I froze my butt off literally
> trying to
> sleep on the ground at 10 above zero but stayed nice and warm at -8
> in a
> hammock.  I wouldn't waste my money on an air mattress.  They weigh
> too much
> and they can leak too easily.

I was hammock only (when camping) for 8 years.  So comfy.  But I had a
hard
time staying warm despite many variations in gear.  And there was no
room to
put stuff.

Then my hiking partner started having back problems and needed to reduce
her load.  Carrying a tent for the two of us and my pad and my
sleeping bag,
I actually carry less weight than I did carrying my hammock and enough
stuff
to keep me warm in it.

Solo camping in warm weather the hammock is still my first choice,
because
it's so much more comfortable.