[at-l] Hammock, was: Re: NeoAir, was: Re: Must be getting old...

Bror8588 at aol.com Bror8588 at aol.com
Tue Jul 14 08:37:07 CDT 2009

I have a Jungle Hammock (a bit pricey) that has a screen to keep out "no
see ems" and a storm fly to keep out rain.  Underneath it has four storage
pockets for keeping stuff (boots, extra clothing, etc) at ready access, and
it  sets up easily between two trees or poles about 10 feet apart.

The hammock can be used as a tent by using Hiker's sticks (or fallen tree
branches) to act as tent poles if there are no trees available.

My complaint about the Hammock is that the bend tends to press on my
bladder and I find that I awake numerous times during the night in order to
answer the call of nature.  But it is very nice to be able to set up where
there is no "flat ground" available.

One night on the AT at a creek just before Gooch Gap Shelter I laid in my
hammock and watched a squad of Rangers walk by just 20 feet from where I was
and  they did not seem to notice that I was there.  Fun!

Jack Skylander

In a message dated 2009-07-13 21:27:13 Eastern Daylight Time,