[at-l] Day Three

grey.owl at comcast.net grey.owl at comcast.net
Sun Jul 19 20:32:24 CDT 2009

Coolest hiker related bumper sticker:
Hike naked and add some color to your cheeks.

The day was definitely a great hiking day, the humidity had fallen, there was a good breeze and it was partly cloudy. Thr hike started at VT 103 and headed north though we headed south to take a look at the Clarendon Gorge and the suspension bridge. we then turned around and head north. The climb out of VT 103 was a real bitch kitty, but I made it with bad foot and all. Stopped at the Clarendon Lookout to take a few picture of the airport. From there we continued to climb to Beacon Hill. The rest of the trip was a mud walk. Thick, gooey, black organic mud. And water everywhere, running down the trail. Mud season in July. Lottery road was not even our halway point, however we spent half the time hiking to reach this point. We got to Keffer Road in les than an hour and to Lower Cold Spring River Road is slightly more than an hour. I can tell you that cold river lives up to its name. Really wanted to stop and soak my feet. We made pretty good time in getting to Upper Cold Spring road. Cold spring is also cold. We amde pretty good time on the trip. Several people on the hike were former thru hikers and the leader thru hiked in 2005 and he is going to do the Long Trail in August.

The only way to finish off a good day hiking is with ice cream. Sewards Dairy Bar in Rutland serves the best ice cream in Vermont. Don't ask about the butter fat content, you are better of not knowing.

It is time to hit the sack and rest up for tomorrows hike.

Cheers,

Grey Owl