[at-l] Day Four

grey.owl at comcast.net grey.owl at comcast.net
Tue Jul 21 08:20:00 CDT 2009

OK so I am a day late. I took my wife out to dinner last at a Pub and Grill located on one of the local lakes.

Tee Shirt of the day (Hiker Related)
So Many Rocks So Little Time

Yesterday's hike was a non-AT hike of 2.4 miles on a switch backed trail; however despite the switch backs it was still a pretty stiff climb. Climbed from Lake Dunmore to Silver lake. Had a wonderful view from the peak. To the west was the Adirondacks, to the south west was the Taconics, and we were standing on the spine of the Green Mountains which are composed of quartzite, a mineral that is formed from the sands of an ancient ocean. Before us was the Champlain Valley which is the remnants of the ancient ocean. All really cool stuff.

On the way down we stopped at a nice little waterfall. About this time my right boot start to fall to pieces. I was really disappointed as they were very comfortable, but apparently they could not take a couple of days hiking. So no boots, no hiking, at least on the AT. My wife and I ae going to go on a couple of elf guided hikes and play tourist today. A zero day, but what the heck, we want to retire up here and we may go look at property today.

Cheers

Grey Owl