[at-l] Math Question

Nina Rogers Nina.Rogers at DrakeSoftware.com
Fri Jul 31 08:51:27 CDT 2009

Yes, that's how I figured it out, too. I don't have a data book at the
office either. I'll have to wait until I'm home to download the
Companion ... in which case, I can just look at my hard copy. :)

Nina Rogers

________________________________

From: Ken Bennett [mailto:bennett.ken at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 9:42 AM
To: Nina Rogers
Cc: at-l
Subject: Re: [at-l] Math Question

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Nina Rogers
<Nina.Rogers at drakesoftware.com> wrote:

If the AT were divided into 40 equal sections with Section 1 starting at
Katahdin and Section 40 ending at Springer, where, roughly, would
Sections 22 and 23 be? I'm thinking somewhere in the northern section of
Virginia, or maybe just south of Washington Monument State Park (or
thereabouts), and going through to somewhere in the northern half of
SNP.

2200 miles divided by 40 sections is 55 miles per section. so Section 20
would end at the halfway point in southern Pennsylvania, and section 22
would begin 55 miles south of that mid-point. Section 23 would start 110
miles south of the midpoint. So Northern Virginia should be a pretty
good guess.

I don't have my databook with me here at the office, but I suspect you
can get the exact locations by downloading the online Companion and
checking the mileage there.

--Ken