[at-l] Seeking section hike advice: Mt. Rogers area

Cutter cutter78 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 15:08:40 CDT 2009

I'm pulling together a plan for a small group of Boy Scouts, ages 14-19,
plus a couple of adults. We'll be hiking for a five-day, four-night section
hike of the AT in the Mt. Rogers area in early July.
That area has been selected because we'll use Beartree group camp in
Jefferson NF as a base camp with our other scouts.
My group should be able to easily do at least 50 miles in the allotted time.
It doesn't matter if we go north or south, so long as we wind up at or near
Beartree.

Looking at the map, one possible way to go is southbound, starting perhaps
at Settler's Museum or the Mt. Rogers headquarters. This route takes us
through Mt. Rogers.

>From the other direction, we could start in the Lake Watauga area and head
north through Damascus to end near Beartree.

Though I've hiked in Grayson Highlands and Mt. Rogers, I've not been on the
AT sections on either end, so I'm seeking any thoughts/suggestions for this
hike.

Cutter
http://twitter.com/cutter