[at-l] More stabbing?

Ken Bennett bennett.ken at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 10:06:08 CDT 2009

> Greg said he'd like a knife that has a can opener.  He also needs to use
> moleskin (or duct tape) on his feet from time to time.  Do I need to think
> about a knife with a scissors tool or just a blade?

Scissors are a huge help on the trail -- I use the little scissors far more
than I use the knife blade!

My trail knife is the smallest Swiss Army
Knife<http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=everyday&product=53005&>,
with a tiny blade, useful scissors, a nail file, tweezers, and a toothpick.
I think it weighs less than an ounce. It doesn't have a Flash Memory Drive
or a built-in LED Light or anything else fancy.

Of course, it took many years to get down to such a small knife. I started
out thinking that to be a real manly hiker I needed a real manly knife, so I
dragged all sorts of combat knives and giant multitools on the trail for
many (manly) years. I could defend against drunken bears and rabid rednecks
and repair a downed airliner if called upon to do so. Now, when I am
attacked by a bear, I can whip out my tiny Swiss Army Knife and give him a
pedicure.

--Ken