[at-l] Rockdancer's Present Hike

rockdancer97 at comcast.net rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 10 09:53:02 CDT 2009

It all went fine until the next morning. Just after leaving the 3 Forks campsite I fell on my face, right side. Thought I was OK but as the day progressed it was clear I had driven my spinal vertebrae a little more forward than they should be. It short I had a sort of sciatica pain, electric nerve pain down my right side, and here I was in the Blood Mountain Wilderness. I shortened my stride, stopped a lot, and had a very long day that day and the next to Slaughter campsite. Next day was better and I rested at Neels for the rest of Saturday. By Sunday I was able to walk pretty normally. Last 3 days I've been averaging 13 miles/day so I think I'm fine although watching the back as I go.

I should be in Franklin in 3-4 days. I hope Ms. Janet is around, I may take my first zero day there, then pack and get ready for the Smokies. The weather is delightfully warm in the mountains, good sleeping weather at night. Almost no bugs and only 2 days with rain of 7 so far. Here in Hiawassee it's in the 90's each day.

Nice folks along the way as usual. Alpine, Cool Breeze, Dart Man etc. (the seasonal staff at Mountain Crossings) have all fled for other parts now that the hiker "season" is done. The woods have great flowers, great birds, lush vegetation and plenty of water this time of year. So far 2 bears (1 was cinnamon, my first!) and 1 timber rattlesnake along the way.

Gotta go for a walk. --RockDancer