[at-l] bandedanners Re: wet shoes

Leslie Booher lbooher at charter.net
Wed Mar 18 10:37:29 CDT 2009

You know, I really like the super absorbant towel things.  Mine is maybe 6" wide and 16" long.  Not only does it do a good job of drying you off after a shower, it dries really quickly on the back of your pack.  I never had any trouble with its becoming a microbe farm.  It never smelled or anything.  It just dried things nicely, then dried out almost immediately.  As for a bandana, it's cotton and won't dry out nearly so quickly.  Also, it doesn't do as good a job of drying your body or the inside of the tent or whatever.  It DOES do all the other things that Sloey mentioned.  They're great around your head for a sweat band and such.  They're good for wiping your face of sweat and for blowing your nose.  I would just rely on something else for major wiping.

a'bear

Humankind (be both)

There's an item that's evil for backpacking... one that finds and absorbs water. Bad news. Like a swimmer's towel -- or "backpacking towel" -- sounds compact and light until you remember that you want stuff to NOT absorb water. (Let alone the fact that it will quickly become a microbe farm -- Ewwwww!)

Leave your toweling to a cotton bandanna, which you can use around a fireplace and not worry about its melting, but it still cottony enough to get you halfway dry in a pinch. (And it can become a hat.) (And it can mop up messes.) (And it can hang wet around your neck.) (And it can be used for modesty in a sauna.) (And it can flag your presence
during hunting season.) (And it can be used as a tourniquet.) (And it can ...... well, you get the idea.)