[at-l] Signs of Spring

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Fri Mar 20 09:37:38 CDT 2009

For those of you watching the birds return, I can report that some of them are leaving Florida.?

Along the FT near my house, there's a big patch of wild iris in full bloom; they're a gorgeous sight.? To get out to them, you'll hike by lots of white violets, fetterbush hung with its fushia bell-shaped little blooms, blackberry brambles?covered in white bloom, little lavender-pink puffball mimosas, and a LOT of just-opening ladies' hatpins (clumps of tiny 3" stalks, each with a small round, white bloom at the end), and in drier sections very fragrant bay blooms are perfuming the air with a mild magnolia scent.? Also in the drier sections, the pennyroyal is covered in light purple colored blooms; if you crush the plant, there's a heavy smell of mint.?

On the down side, ticks, chiggers, and poison ivy are back, but a minor bother.?

Joan