[at-l] Steri pen water purification

Charles W. Davidson chaseat99 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 09:59:54 CDT 2009

Hi Gang,
            I just got back from a 6 day hike. I tested out my new
Classic model Steri Pen that I purchased at REI. I sent the faulty
Journey model steri pen back to Nitro-Pak for refund. They said that
they found nothing wrong with it so I ended up paying shipping including
the initial free shipping. The gadget worked periodically ( I just
retired from 36 years at Corning where I repaired electronic
instruments). Counting shipping and all cr123 batteries I purchased
testing the thing it cost me a bit. I should have gone to REI in the
first place and I will not use the other site again.
    But now I am happy with the Classic model Steri-Pen. It uses AA
batteries and will clean twice as much or ~ 100 liters of water on 4
lithium AA's. I get an 8 pack Lith AA at Walmart for <$10. which is the
same cost as 2CR123's. It seemed a bit odd purifying the same water
sources that I have drank from for many years. However it is so easy and
quick that I really did not mind the 90 second wait for each liter. The
device worked will with standard size small neck soda bottles or large
mouth (my preference). Large mouth do not freeze up as fast as the small
ones. Both store better upside down in cold weather because freezing
starts in the air gap on top.

Chase
Photo's and video of my hike @

My Journal http://postholer.com/chaseat99