[at-l] 5 or 6 years later

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 31 18:46:52 CDT 2009

--- On Tue, 3/31/09, David Addleton <dfaddleton at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/31/sports/othersports/01ralston.html?_r=1&hp
>
> about the dude who cut off his hand rather than die with it
> stuck under a boulder . . .

"Though strength and courage remain a focus of his speeches, Ralston said, “Now I’ve identified what that source is, and it’s love. We’re tapping into that source of strength and courage when we feel love, and we do it for our families and our friends and hopefully for the world at large. Those opportunities are out there all the time, and hopefully we’re doing it for that instead of just our own egos."

### The source is love, eh? Towards the end of Into The Wild, the protagonist is writing his "journal" between the lines of the paperbacks he's brought into the Alaska outback, and one particular line he writes boldly across the page -- "Happiness is best when shared." Sounds like a repeating theme.