[at-l] at-l Digest, Vol 21, Issue 40

danandgailsc at aol.com danandgailsc at aol.com
Sun May 24 22:40:26 CDT 2009

The weather was perfect.? Low of 35 the first night, no rain, highs in the 70s.? On Tuesday or Wednesday?I asked Circuit Rider to come up with a trail name for me by Friday.? He and Sherlock decided on Odometer, based on the?30 trail miles?my first full day out, from Jenny Knob Shelter to Pearisburg.? Friday evening?we ate at the Catawba Home Place Restaurant--Circuit Rider, Sherlock, Hopeful, Signage, Salty Dog, Couscous, and myself.? After the meal, three of us set out from 311?at sundown and reached McAfee Knob before 10 p.m. and bedded down there without tents.? Got up before sunup and enjoyed the sunrise and coffee, then hiked into Daleville by 3 p.m.? Gutsy met me there.

This was my first time to hike this section.? I have been keeping track of where I have hiked the AT, and had Springer - Bland continuously.? I had already done Dragon's Tooth and McAfee Knob on day hikes.? And this was my first multi day solo backpacking trip.? (It was 6.5 days, not 5.5, as indicated in the original post.)? I normally go with Gutsy, but she had to teach her first grade class, while the plant where I work was shut down for a week.? So ...............? after Trail Days she drove to SC and I hit the trail at Bland.

Odometer