[at-l] sleeping bag?

Teresa French Wench WenchAT03 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Nov 1 12:33:19 CST 2009

I bought a Kelty synthetic 20 degree bag before my thruhike.  I didn't have
lots of extra cash for gear, so $$ was one of the major deciding factors.  I
had read pros and cons for down vs synthetic, and other than a weight
difference (which at that time didnt seem like enough of a difference for
the extra $), I didn't where it mattered.  I was also a little concerned
about keeping a down bag dry.  Many times I climbed in my synthetic bag with
wet clothes and woke up with dry clothes.  I even woke up splashing in my
tent!  I was warm... but had to wring out my bag before packing up.  :-)

Just like everyone else said, see what works for you.  You don't HAVE to
have the lightest, "best" equipment.  You just need to be able to make it
work for you, and be able to change if you find it's not working.

Having finished a thruhike, I now would prefer lighter, but probably won't
get a new bag.  I'll cut weight on tent and backpack first.

BTW, I didn't weigh one piece of equipment or the entire packed pack before
I got to Amicalola Falls State Park.  It didn't matter what the weight was.
I was taking what I thought I needed.  At Neel's Gap, I sent home a few
things, but not much.  My pack weight was 38#, and that included 2 bottles
of beer.

Happy packing!
:-)
Wench