[at-l] Not completing a thru Hike

grey.owl at comcast.net grey.owl at comcast.net
Tue Nov 3 19:00:28 CST 2009

Hi all,

I finally found the quote.  Someone posted it to the list many years ago.  Many people
disappear after they fail to complete their hike. Both Jim and Frank have given
wonderful posting about not completing the trail however I like to hear the stories.

"It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring your moon.
I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow, if
you have been opened by life's betrayals or have become shriveled and
closed from fear of further pain! I want to know if you can sit with pain,
mine or your own, without moving to hide it or fade it, or fix it. I want
to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own, if you can dance with
wildness and let the ecstasy fill you
to the tips of your fingers and toes without cautioning us to be careful,
to be realistic, to remember the limitations of being human."

"It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me is true.
I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself; if
you can bear the accusation of betrayal and not betray your own soul; if
you can be faithless and therefore trustworthy.
I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every
day, and if you can source your own life from its presence.
I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still
stand on the edge of the lake and shout to the silver of the full moon,
"Yes""
						Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Cheers

Grey Owl