[at-l] magical... Re: Was longevity advice....now: 2000 milers......

hiker 317 hiker317 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 18:58:02 CST 2009

That's a great idea!...examples of the unexpected magic to counterpoint the
(mostly) predictable unmagic :) The most wonderful thing happened to me on
my first long hike; i had an unplanned semi-emergency that landed me in the
town where i was born, which isn't a traditional 'trailtown', and i didn't
find out about it's being my natal city until 14 years later. The second
best trail magic was not being shot by the farmer who had just a few minutes
before said that he was going to do so, as he racked a shell into his
shotgun. I guess that not getting eaten by the dog that was intent on having
me for supper would be a tie for second, and having dinner with the
wonderful family of Mr. Emerson Harrison would be the premier gustatory
magic of that trip. The hot shower and real bed for a night was cool also.
So, hiking can make one feel reborn, as in not dying, show you where you
were born, and shower you with food and friendship when it's least expected
and most needed.