[at-l] Calories, was: which candy bar

Frank Looper nightwalker.at at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 14:52:18 CST 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 10:28 PM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind at yahoo.com> wrote:

> >OK, I'm in. I want that. Tell.
> MacGyver

Plan of nutrition for 15 mile backpacking days.

Recipe for trail mix: Cashews 1 lb can, Mixed Nuts (50% peanuts) 1 lb
can, Raisins 24 oz can, Honey Roasted Peanuts 2 lb can. Mix extremely
well. 1 days serving is 2 slightly rounded cups.
Kcals 1551, Protein Grams 44, Fat Grams 97, Carb Grams 131

6 snickers for eat-as-you-walk
Kcals 1680, Protein Grams 24, Fat Grams 780, Carb Grams 210

Supper from Lipton/Knorrs, 1 oz (2 tbls) olive oil, 7 oz foil pack of tuna
Kcals 1185, Protein Grams 46, Fat Grams 35, Carb Grams 118

Total for day.
Kcals 4416, Protein Grams 114, Fat Grams 912, Carb Grams 459

Total weight ~36 oz. That's 4 oz over the sacred 2 lb rule, but you're
going to feel better every day because of it.

The different Knorr's have different values. I just grabbed up 3 and
averaged them when I was doing this a few months ago.

For 10 miles, I plan for 3500 calories, 15 miles, 4250, 20 miles (in
my dreams) 5,000.
I came up with this by setting the treadmill at the gym at a 10%
incline, setting the weight as me+pack and then walking a mile.
Treadmill said 150 calories burned. I figured the RDA for average
couch potato was 2,000 calories, so trail diet should = 2,000 + (miles
* 150).

I have no problem with anyone's critique of the method, but please
offer one of your own if you do!

By doing this, I do not feel the urge to binge when I get back, I
still exchange some fat for muscle, and I'm not waking up every
morning with that "beat by a bag of hammers" feeling. I also sleep 10
hour nights (when possible) while hiking. Your body only heals in its
sleep.

At the beginning of this year, with lots of total trail miles, but no
nutrition plan for hiking, I weighed over 260 lbs! Today, I weighed
231.2. Yes, I've lost the weight of a winter-loaded pack this year.

There is slightly more to it than better trail eating, but I had no
idea how I was killing myself with the hike-and-binge system until SGT
Rock saw me at the SoRuck this year, and the first words out of his
mouth were "Damn Frank! You've chunked up!" or something really close.
(What are friends for!?) My blood/heart/cholesterol numbers were
great, so I pretended like the fat didn't matter. It mattered.

The main difference was the trail diet. The other big differences were
ALWAYS eat breakfast*(see below), eat no white flour or rice (brown
rice and whole-wheat bread taste lots better, anyway), and make
vegetables a huge part of my day. I'm never hungry and I lose weight
every week. When I stopped smoking 9 years ago, I weighed 180 and
could almost run up the mountains. I looked like skin and bone because
I had been hiking so much that I only had a 13% body fat. I gave
myself quiet permission to exchange one addiction for another because
I'd "earned it" by quitting smoking. Hah!

Anyway, you didn't ask for all of this, so take what you want and
leave the rest. I get to start back hiking Tuesday, the phone only
sends 1,000 character e-mails, and y'all can probably expect the
essays to slow down a little.

I want to thank everyone, one more time, for how kind they've been to
me during my recovery. You folks have no idea how much it meant.

I also want to apologize to Camo Jack for the verbal attack on this
list a number of months ago. It's bothered me almost every day. We
don't have to be friends, but you did not deserve what I gave you. I
also thought that an apology would be more believable after NOT
hammering you for a few months. I'm also a chicken and it took me this
long to get my nerve up.

FrankenBlabberFingers

*A concoction of 12 oz water, 1 frozen banana, 1 cup oatmeal blended
into flour, 1 serving PB, 1 tbsp of Nido and a scoop of high protein
SlimFast. Tastes too good to be true, and I'm full of energy for 6
hours around the house.