[at-l] Veteran's Day Part 2

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 19:50:54 CST 2009

At Ft. Drum, home of the 10th Mountain Division, according to the news they
had the day off because it was a national holiday. According to the news
they will hold observance ceremonies tomorrow. Quite a change from my item
in the service. Then the holiday (and Armed  Forces Day) were days for us to
perform for the public.

North of me, in Canada, Remembrance Day is a solemn occasion. A few years
ago I spent the day listening to Canadian radio and noted a difference from
the US. Stations here were hawking furniture, appliances and autos in
Veterans Day sales. In Canada CBC radio took phone calls through much of the
day from people who talked about their family members who had served and/or
been lost in prior wars or were currently serving. This year I didn't listen
to the radio at all but I suspect the mood, between the wars in Iraq &
Afghanistan and the events at Ft. Hood, was more subdued here as well.

SP/5 Bullard US ARMY '64-'67
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/