[at-l] Trail related & Re: Veteran's Day Part 2

Carla & Dave Hicks carla_dave_hicks at verizon.net
Fri Nov 13 11:19:39 CST 2009

Or "It's a small world."

Twice on the trail I met up with Vets from my past.

The most recent was on a rainy night in a crowded NH shelter when I met a SF
guy I had work with in my "civilian" capacity.  We both knew each other well
and recognized each other right off.  As I was SOBO & he was NOBO we exchanged
little, except to acknowledge each other's presents, as there were too many
others around.

The earlier incident was a guy that I had done crew trail work with for years.
We had never swapped stories.  We never made the connection, until one work
trip a new young guy join us -- an active service pilot.  He started asking my
friend about his experiences.  After a while some of the worst-case stories
started to come out.  As I sat there, eerier feelings and a flashback hit me.
Finally, I joined in and asked something like, "That wasn't "x" date at "y"
place, was it?"  It was.  He was the same pilot that saved my bacon many years
before, in another life, in another world. And here we had know each other as
fellow trail maintainers for more that ten years w/o ever making the
connection.

It is a small world and there is a lot of history walking the trails.

Chainsaw

BTW -- Speaking of the AT & Veterans -- the Vet that I have the most pride in
have work along side on the trail and of having known as a friend is "The
Crazy One", himself.  Somehow it just seems right that the history of
thru-hiking and of Veterans on the trail go hand-in-hand.