[at-l] "Ktaadn" (Church 1853)

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 11:00:44 CST 2009

Bear in mind too that paintings by landscape artists of that era weren't
precise representations. Rather they were idealized and occasionally even
exaggerated. An example: I have over the years taken several photos of
Rainbow Falls near St. Huberts in the ADKs, a recent one was on my blog <
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/2009/08/last-rainbow-falls-shots.html>.
There is an etching from the era of the Hudson River School (the style of
Cole and Church) which shows Rainbow falls and has a man who is dwarfed by
the boulders in the foreground. The rocks are big but not that big, perhaps
waist or mid chest height bu that's all. They called it 'artistic license'.
I suspect that the painting has been 'arranged' to create an overall effect
rather than a literal representation.

Jim Bullard