[at-l] Remembrance of Past Rucks, was Re: Orangebug

Carla & Dave Hicks carla_dave_hicks at verizon.net
Sun Nov 15 21:08:32 CST 2009

Beats me which soup you are talking about.

I brought different soups (sometimes more that one to the same RUCK) to a
number of RUCKS.

Most are more concepts than actual recipes.

The one I make the most often is the roasted/grilled potato -- carnivore,
vegetarian, or vegan (depending on who for).  It is quick for a soup -- (about
30-40 minutes, start to finish)

Cut potatoes (a waxy type e.g., new, red skin, etc (not Idaho baking, as they
crumble away in soup) into apox. 1/2 inch cubes.  Coat w/ butter, palm oil,
olive oil, other veg oil to taste/choice) and bake in mod hot oven (or roast
on grill) until soft.

In the meantime:

Dice about 1/4 -1/3 as much onion, as potato.  Sweat until soft.  (again, use
butter, palm oil, olive oil, to taste/choice)

 If carnivore, fry up some ham, sausage, game meat, etc  -- about 1/8 -1/4 as
much as potato.

Once the onion is soft (but not browned) add potato flour/starch while still
on a low heat (about a Tbl per pint of soup being made.  Soak up all the
oil/fat.

On a low heat, add milk (or milk substitute, per type) slowlly mixing to
convert starch & oil to a thin white sauce.

Add herbs, salt & pepper, to taste.  Herbs can vary.  I tend to stay with a
single, most often basil.  Combos such as an Italian mix work, also.

Optional (Add in some sour cream or non dairy sour cream substitute)

Add in the now cooked potato cubes.

Eat or keep warm until served.