[at-l] Tent decision

Frank Looper nightwalker.at at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 18:28:33 CST 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Ken Bennett <bennett.ken at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good choice.
>
> While the condensation issue is real, it is often vastly overblown. All
> tents and tarps and tarptents will get condensation under the right weather
> conditions. I just carry a small camp towel to dry off the tarptent in the
> morning, and all is good.
>
> Happy trails,
>
> Ken

Same as everyone else, I just dry off the inside of my Rainbow with
1/2 of a Wally-World camp towel. The outside gets dried off as well if
it isn't raining when I'm packing up. The only water-related problem
that I had with it was early in last week's hike. I forgot to check
all of the corner clips, one of them was un-clipped and in what would
be a puddle later that night. But that was my fault. It is nice to be
able to un-clip all 6 places and let the air flow through during dry
times. It is the best tent that I've owned yet.

Whatever you do, do not get a Six Moons Lunar Solo E. They start to
sag after just months, and the owner would rather make excuses than
fix the problem. I had to re-sew 3-4 places during the time that I
used mine because of cheap material attachment, and the tension
adjusters on the corners started bending the first week that I used
it. The owner/designer's reaction when I spoke to him at Trail Days
was "We plan on fixing that in the future." Nothing about fixing mine,
just the future ones. And the ones that I've seen since don't look
fixed. Bad design and customer service will bite you on the behind. I
tell everyone that I know about what a waste of money that tent was!

Maybe someone else has one that they like, but maybe they didn't pitch
it nearly as many times as I did mine. Who knows.

Frank