[at-l] O2 rainwear

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Wed Oct 14 10:26:26 CDT 2009

Mara Factor wrote:
> Doing without rain gear may work well in certain conditions:  if the
> air is warm; if the terrain is easy enough that you can keep moving at
> a good pace or just the right difficulty to keep your metabolism
> moving; etc.  But there are times when rain gear would absolutely be
> necessary:  if it's cold and the terrain keeps you moving too slow to
> build up enough body heat; if an injury or other physical limitation
> keep you moving too slow; or for some people who just don't have the
> metabolism to get warm and stay warm when and if it starts to rain.
>
> For these situations, it is dangerous to be out there without means of
> staying warm.

I was wet and cold most of  December '98.  Rained most every day...or,
snowed...and, was in the mountains of TN-NC-GA
 Then, it was just cold the first five days of '99.  I wore shorts right
up 'til Jan. 3.  http://felixhikes.tripod.com/AT/cowrock.jpg
(Are gaiters considered raingear? )

> I generally say that rain gear is not meant to keep you dry, it's
> meant to keep you warm.  There's nothing wrong with being wet if
> you're warm.  There is a problem being wet if you get cold.
I can tell you one thing...you don't stand around very long when you're
wet and it's about 18 degress out....

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98