[at-l] O2 rainwear

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Wed Oct 14 13:01:34 CDT 2009

Strange, my sweetie Jon once got hypothermic on a Shennandoah's hike in early May--between Skyland and Panorama.  We spent the night at Skyland and had the "clever" idea of slacking to Panorama.  We had checked the weather forecast which said NO rain.  The Skyland desk clerk said he'd take our packs to Panorama when he got off his shift at 7:00 a.m.  We had been told that the Panorama restaurant was open and we planned  At 6:45, we locked our packs into his car.  All we had were fanny packs with snacks and water--no rain gear.  (Yeah, DUMB.)

By 7:00, it was raining.  Temperature when we started was in the 60's.  After about an hour of hiking, the temperature began to drop.  Winds picked up.  At one point we hundled in a picnic ground bathroom just to get out of the weather, but trudged on.  I stopped to moleskin a hot spot and noticed that Jon was starting to shake.  About five miles in, I started urging Jon to pass me and move along to get to Panorama, as I was considerably slower than he could go.  He wouldn't leave me.  I was hiking in front.  After about 7 miles I called for a break.  I heard from behind me, "We CAN"T stop."  I turned around and looked at him.  He was really shaking.

I moved as fast as I could down from Mary's Rock.  I kept promising Jon we'd have hot soup at the restaurant.  When we got there, the restaurant was still closed.  Fortunately, our packs were there near the door.  It was really foggy, getting colder, and still windy.  Jon stripped right out of his wet clothes and put on some dry stuff from his pack.  His fingers were so cold that he couldn't fasten or zip his pants; I had to do that for him.

Fortunately, a guy in a pickup pulled up about that time and asked if we needed anything.  We hitched with him into Luray.  His truck was luxuriously warm, but it still took Jon about 30 minutes to stop shaking.  Bought the driver lunch and ourselves plenty of hot soup.  AND we got a motel room for the night.

Now I always carry an emergency cheapie poncho or at least a large garbage bag everytime I hike.

Joan