[at-l] What's the coldest temp you've been out in?

Tom Fort tom at tjfort.net
Fri Oct 16 13:24:25 CDT 2009

Mine was -15*F one Christmas in the mid-90's at  the Mount LaConte
shelter in the Smokies. There were 3-5 ft of snow that day.    I was in
my 0* down mummy, inside my backup bivy, inside the shelter.  At least
the caretaker offered me some hot bread!   Hot water nalgeens are the
best!

I managed to make it to IWS shelter, which was a stupid chance to take
coming off that mountain.  However, after watching a hellicopter rescue
a hiker, and, contiplating the dangers of the trail south, I decided to
cancle that hike.

t.