[at-l] Lightweight backpacks?

Leslie Booher lbooher at charter.net
Sun Oct 18 16:17:02 CDT 2009

Your friend's base weight (everything except food and water) should certainly be under 20 pounds to use one of these packs, but that's not hard to do these days.

On the other hand, if your friend is using "traditional" gear -- a 5+ pound tent, a 4 pound synthetic sleeping bag, a heavy stove and cook kit, etc., these light packs probably won't work very well.

Even when I started hiking in '89, the recommendation for tents was 3.5 lbs per person.  Almost any tent these days will fit that formula.

I thought the current thinking was (is) all the base items coming in at under 10 lbs.  That's pack, sleeping bag, mattress, tent, and cook kit, isn't it?  No clothes in that weight, nor food and water, as you say.

a'bear

Humankind (be both)