[at-l] A goodway to date [was :Re: Pulled a Kelly

Tim Rich athiker89 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 20 07:50:52 CDT 2009

I've had a Timberline 4 for over twenty years.  Took it on some of our earliest section hikes, and it still makes it out for some overnighters with the kids.  If you have young bodies to carry it, it's a luxury in the evening.  The OR Advanced Bivy Shelter goes on longer trips with me, but at 17 years or so it's well past its prime.  It never was ideal for significant wet weather camping, and I'm continuously scanning for a deal on a good one-person tent.

On the topic of lightweight packs in general (not thruhiking), I wanted to toss in the option of just buying a smaller pack that is, of course, lighter than a larger pack and that forces you to pack better or more conservatively.  When we sectioned the Whites hut to hut, I got a deal on a Kelty Redwing.  For its size, it has a beefy suspension, and I've filled and lashed to it and it's always been comfortable to carry.  I'm by no means ultralight, but I'm to the point that four days and three nights fit my Redwing with a few things (thermarest, jacket, some water) lashed when starting out.  I got mine for about $60 about eight years ago, but I think they're still around or under $100.

Take Care,

Tim