[at-l] Does a weak economy create more thru hike attempts?

Dennis gassd at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 21 09:28:29 CDT 2009

Ok…out of lurk mode for me.  This is one of the reasons I have loved this list since I wandered by sometime around 2000.  I started reading Then the Hail Came last night, finally went to sleep around 2am and I am on chapter 6.  Excellent read and thanks to whomever started the thread.  This has rekindled a flame in me to walk over mountains again.  With the job ending on the last day of this month I may have a little time.  Perhaps a southbound section hike ending at Springer…where to start from and OMG am I ever in horrible physical condition so how slow will I actually go?  Hmmm…I have walked the Georgia section many times, should I venture out of my comfort zone and try something new…probably should.  This raises another question, are there more thru hike attempts in years with a weak economy and higher unemployment rates like we are currently experiencing?

Dennis - Trailwind