[at-l] Fw: [BackpackingLight] SPOT abuse

hiker 317 hiker317 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 22:18:42 CDT 2009

Once upon a long time ago ('69) i almost died in GC, and the only way that i
had to call for help was prayer, being alone and unable to move. I always
wonder why i was rescued, while so many others making similar mistakes have
died. I think that about 6-8 hikers have died this year. Perhaps in
some cases of 'experienced' 'prepared' hikers, the sheer magnificence of the
place just overwhelms the senses, distorting perception at critical moments.
Then again, in cases of wireless/satellite initiated rescue, it could be
that a wonderful way to charge folks who recklessly endanger their own lives
and the lives of SAR folks would be to charge a 'mileage-fee' related to the
distance that the initiating radio signal had to travel, which for
geostationary sats is anywhere between 34K and 46K roundtrip. about a
buck-a-mile would be right, until hyperinflation hits anyway. I wonder how
far a prayer has to travel, one-way?