[at-l] Longest Resupply

Ryan Crawford m2b1 at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 24 06:33:47 CDT 2009

A little secret Mark...

Where are you planning on hiking next summer?

The Alps, the CDT, the PCT, Minnesota.  Where?????

Put on a loaded backpack and do some relatively flatland hiking and see how
far you can walk in a day.  I think you might be surprised.  Remember what
they talk about when it comes to hiking the PCT.  Since you don't have the
steep climbs on the PCT like you do on the AT you can put in way more mile
per day on the PCT because the terrain is easier.

I have a trail right by my house, 75 miler, that I have thought about doing
as a nonstop hike.  Straight through no camping no nothing.  I figure I
could do it in around 24 hours and it still has three peaks that go up to
near 3000 feet and would have a total vertical climb of near 10,000 feet.
I've did 24-25 miles on it averaging at the end of the day 4+ mph pace.
Granted I was only carrying food and water but I still could have been
easily averaging 3.5-4 mph fully loaded.  I wasn't in shape for hiking
either at the time.  I did it totally on a whim.  I averaged 3 mph on most
of the AT.

The terrain you walking on makes a BIG difference as to how many miles you
can do in a day.  Admittedly, thinking MN, how well the trail is marked also
would make a big difference.

I see no reason why it should take over a 10 day supply to cover the 300
miles.  Heck you could probably pull it off comfortably in 6-8 days.  It all
depends on several factors starting with what do you want to do and what do
you think you are capable of doing.  The second one more important than the
first one.

Like I said put on a fully loaded pack and hit some fairly flat trail and
see how far you can hike.  The closer the conditions are to MN the more
reliable the data you will have.  See how far you can hike in 5-10 hours.
Heck spend a couple days in a row on the trail so you have real good data
after two days of the distance you can do and how you feel afterwards.

Remember you won't have many people out there hiking with you so you won't
have to worry about wanting to make it to a particular shelter that your
friend is going to be stopping at for the night.  You'll be setting the
pace...not someone else.

The dynamics behind what you are looking at doing is very different from
anything I think you have did so far.  Take the dynamics into consideration.

MEANT 2B