[at-l] Everett Ruess

rockdancer97 at comcast.net rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 25 08:53:27 CDT 2009

Thanks skeeter for posting. Everett Ruess is another one of my interests, stemming of my study of Ansel Adams & Dorothea Lange, and dovetailing with the hiking thing. 10 years ago, at one of the Gatherings, a hiker (I forget who) presented readings of Ruess' journals along with a slideshow of the SW desert. A sweet, if unconventional presentation that got me to buy the Ruess journals and "A Vagabond for Beauty" by Rusho.

A movie, "Lost Forever:Everett Ruess", was made in 2001. It was a 1-hr docudrama but I don't think it was ever distributed around the US. I haven't seen it, but perhaps it's out there now in a video/internet format.

Ruess used the name "Nemo" and made his mark during the journeys. Some Nemo marks are now underwater in flooded canyons but perhaps some are still visible, I haven't looked into it. Some AT hikers have used the name Nemo but I don't know if they were in tribute to Jules Verne or to Ruess.

I didn't know David Roberts was interested in Ruess, a scan of the NatGeo Adventure website has his stuff dating back to 1999, the same year I heard about Ruess at the Gathering. I usually think of Roberts in conjunction with Krakauer, I think Roberts was his mentor for climbing & for writing.

Anyway, Thanks for the update & reviving my memory on the subject.

>From a quick look this morning I think Roberts and NatGeo are going to have something to apologize for in a future issue, perhaps with an explanation of their desire to rush to press. (sounds familiar on a couple of accounts with the regular NatGeo magazine, and wasn't Krakauer accused of rushing to print in the story "Into the Wild" with a premature diagnosis of the cause of death being a wild potatoe seed?)

--RockDancer