[at-l] Thru-hiker "schools"

Mark Hudson mvhudson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 07:54:59 CDT 2009

Rather than look for classes or schools on thru-hiking I think you might
actually get more out of a Ruck weekend. Being in TN you are probably closer
to the Southern Ruck than the northern. Someone else will need to provide
more details since that one is out of my range.
The northern Ruck takes place at the Iron Masters Mansion American Youth
Hostel in Pine Grove Furnace State Park outside of Carlisle PA, typically on
Super Bowl weekend the end of January.
The northern ruck has been drawing 50-80 people, a combination of an
informal "school" for thruhikers getting ready to head out, and a reunion
for some of us old-timers.
It's a great chance to ask your questions either one on one or in small
groups. What you'll find is that there are approximately five times as many
right answers as there are questions, what you'll need to do is figure out
what answers work for you. Around the end of the year you should be able to
find a link to the Ruck websites...
>From the rest of the description of your background I'd say you're off to a
good start ;  )

skeeter