[at-l] Knees, age & trekking styx

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 08:31:40 CDT 2009

Knees 'weaken' with age because our bodies can't replace damaged and dying
cells as fast as they are being damaged/die. We are constantly
replacing/rebuilding our bodies. There's an old adage that you have a
completely new body every seven years. Unfortunately that seven years is an
average. Not all cells are replaced on the same cycle. Sometimes we engage
in activities that wear out cells faster than our bodies can replace them
and the copies aren't always good. It's sort of like making a photocopy,
photocopying the photocopy, then photocopying that copy, etc. After a while
the copies become illegible or in the case of our cells they don't function
as well.

Properly used a staff or hiking poles (I prefer just one) is for stability
and benefits the knees by avoiding unnecessary and unnatural twisting of the
joint while trying to maintain balance. I'm a firm believer in "use it or
lose it" and I frequently annoy people who say "I can't..." by responding
""I can do what I do because I do it". OTOH I have forgotten (or thought I
didn't need) my pole occasionally on a hike almost always to my regret,
minor or otherwise. On relatively flat trail I usually carry it horizontal
to the ground in one hand but when I encounter tricky footing or an incline
it is immediately put to use. I think (mere conjecture on my part since I've
never used two poles) that those who use two poles are more inclined to use
them constantly even on flat easy trail. At least that's my observation. I
see lots of two pole hikers clicking and clacking along, both poles swinging
as if they were four legged instead of two. Rarely do I see a two pole hiker
with both poles lashed to the pack (only where steep climbing requires both
hands free) and I don't recall ever seeing a two pole hiker just 'carrying'
the poles in one or both hands without using them.  YMMV

Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/