[at-l] Knees, age & trekking styx

TrailR at aol.com TrailR at aol.com
Thu Oct 29 09:29:06 CDT 2009

In a message dated 10/29/2009 9:32:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jim.bullard at gmail.com writes:

On  relatively flat trail I usually carry it horizontal to the ground in
one hand  but when I encounter tricky footing or an incline it is immediately
put to  use. I think (mere conjecture on my part since I've never used two
poles) that  those who use two poles are more inclined to use them constantly
even on flat  easy trail. At least that's my observation. I see lots of two
pole hikers  clicking and clacking along, both poles swinging as if they
were four legged  instead of two. Rarely do I see a two pole hiker with both
poles lashed to the  pack (only where steep climbing requires both hands
free) and I don't recall  ever seeing a two pole hiker just 'carrying' the poles
in one or both hands  without using them.  YMMV

True, I still swing my poles on level ground, but I don't "use" them.
Easier to swing
them, than stop & put them away. I only put pressure on them on the ups
and downs.
LOTS of pressure. But that's just me, others may use them all the time.

My trail name is "Hotdog", but it was originally going to be  "Gimp"...
Hmmm.... It still may be... It fits....

Hotdog AT 03
Gimp (he rest of the time)