[at-l] Knees, age & trekking styx

JPL jplynch at crosslink.net
Thu Oct 29 10:50:31 CDT 2009

I use two poles.  Started using poles many years ago when my knees started going.  I had to stop running  (I had been a competitive runner).  I used one pole for a couple of years, then went to two.  I do believe that using poles takes enough pressure off the knees that its helped me considerably.  On flat sections, I may carry the poles parallel to the ground, or not.  Just depends if I want a change for a few minutes.  One benefit I've found on flat or gentle slopes is that using poles helps keep my pace up.  You're really getting your arms into it.