[at-l] Coyote Attack

Frank Looper nightwalker.at at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 20:38:51 CDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 7:31 PM, David Addleton <dfaddleton at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/29/canada.singer.killed/index.html
>
> This attack was in Nova Scotia.
>
> I've heard coyotes only in Cohuttas, late one night falling asleep
> after a long hike.
> I heard their calls to chase prey and I heard their foot steps very
> close by in a dark, moonless night.
> Their calls are not dissimilar to the jackal calls I knew as a kid in
> south asia.
> I've known ferrel and trained dogs to attack humans, but I wasn't
> aware of coyotes doing this.
>
> Has anyone heard coyotes along the AT?
> They must cross it or run near it in some places.

I've heard coyotes on the AT from GA to VA; never in ME.

The funniest was when I woke up to take a leak one night at the Lorax
Shelter (the one that has the whole Dr. Seuss Lorax book written in
the privy, somewhere in SW VA). As I stretched and yawned, they made
whimper-ish sounds. When I laughed, they took off like I had shot at
them.

I'm glad my dog wasn't with me on that trip. She's probably have
gotten herself killed. She thinks chasing bears out of camp is big
fun. That made us popular East of the Smokies last year where there
was a habituated bear that was *totally* unafraid of people. Scared of
dogs, though. :-)

She also chased one off in the Nantahalas for me one night. Came back
10 minutes later grinning and wagging, the nincompoop. :-)

FrankenLooper, who wishes that he knew how to scratch inside his nose!!!!!