[at-l] Coyote Attack

Dennis gassd at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 30 09:06:11 CDT 2009

For the past 2 years we have had warnings from Cobb County that there are
coyotes roaming around here in East Cobb County Georgia...between Marietta
and Roswell, 10.3 miles north of the 285 loop around Atlanta...or more
importantly...65.9 miles from Springer Mountain.  With watering restrictions
last summer I was out moving a sprinkler in my yard sometime around 2am and
looked up to see a coyote walk from my neighbor's yard across the street and
around my house.  I think it is very likely that coyote's are all around the
AT in Georgia.

David Addleton wrote:
I've heard coyotes only in Cohuttas, late one night falling asleep
after a long hike.
I heard their calls to chase prey and I heard their foot steps very
close by in a dark, moonless night.
Their calls are not dissimilar to the jackal calls I knew as a kid in
south asia.
I've known ferrel and trained dogs to attack humans, but I wasn't
aware of coyotes doing this.

Has anyone heard coyotes along the AT?
They must cross it or run near it in some places.